Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax advice

Question
My wife tripped on a loose piece of carpet in a restaurant and broke her ankle. Through a lawyer we went after the restaurant and settled for an amount of $20,000 less legal fees of $7,000....net received $13,000. She incurred limited medical bills - basically a co-pay through our health insurance. My question is whether the amount received will be taxable as ordinary income. We are hoping it is not but assume if worse case it is, then the amount of the legal fees could be deducted. Appreciate your advice !

Answer
Lawrence,

Thanks for your question.

Judgments and awards for physical injury are not taxable, you do not need to report them on your return at all. However, you cannot take a deduction for any of the medical expenses that you paid.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA