Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Cost basis

Question
I inherited some stock so the cost to me was $0. I subsequently sold the stock. When I report for tax purposes, do I show $0 as the cost or do I show the cost that the original owner paid?

Answer
David,

Thanks for your question.

Neither. For inherited property, your cost basis is the fair market value as of date of death. Specifically for stocks, it is the average of the high and low price on the date of death. If the stock did not trade that day, it is the average of the last day it traded before death and the first day after death. Since it is inherited, it is automatically a long-term gain or loss.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA