Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Excess distributions

Hello Richard,

A client of mine took distributions in excess of his basis and therefore has capital gain income.  Is there a book/tax difference as a result of this and if so, is this an M-1 adjustment. I feel I'm missing something obvious.  He took a $25k distriubution in excess of his basis. My book income is showing $25k less income than tax, am I off on this.

Thank you in advance for clarifying as I'm clear on some of this, but not able to complete the return properly.

jeff. distributions are not run through income. therefore, book = zero. tax = zero. no m1

yes. m2 to reduce 3a, but that is easy to input on whatever software you use. as is picking up the income on the individuals return.

call me if you have any questions.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell