Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Fees Paid to Attorney

Question
Hi.  I live in Pennsylvania.  In 2012, 2013 and 2014, I paid fees to an attorney to litigate a case for me to be paid severance that was denied to me when I was terminated from a job in 2012.  In 2014, the company and I came to a settlement and I was paid severance.  My question for you is this:  Since I didn't get any income from the legal action until 2014, can I still deduct the fees I paid my attorney in 2012 and 2013 in addition to the fees paid in 2014?  Or can I only deduct the fees I paid my attorney in 2014?

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Nick,

Thanks for your question.

Since the attorney's fees are amounts paid to protect income, they are deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% limitation.  However, they are only deductible in the year in which you paid them, so you would need to file an amended return for each past yeR in which you did not deduct them.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA