Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing exempt on W4??

It was suggested to me that I file "exempt" on my W4 because I'm not bringing home a lot of money. So much tax is taken out! I'm single with no dependents now.

The problem is that I owe the IRS for the last two years because I filed for too many allowances during those years. (Filed for six allowances so I could have more money to work with)

Is it wise to file exempt in my situation?

Is there a way for me to bring home more of my earnings?

Thank you,

Thanks for your question.

It is illegal to file as exempt unless you had no tax liability in the pr vinous year and do not anticipate one in the current year.

Taking home more of your money will only make your problem worse. My advice is to have the proper amount withheld so you will not owe when you file.

Hope this helps

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University