Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Head-of-Household Filing Status

Question
A co-worker asked me about how he should file this year because his mother had moved in with him and lived there the entire year in 2014. He earns $35,000 annually between two jobs and his mother works at the same place and earns $12,000 annually in addition to $8,000 in social security benefits for a total of $20 K. So he wants to know if he should file as Head of Household. I told him he has to provide more than half his mom's support to claim her as dependent and file as Head of Household. It's easy if the dependent has no income but this case seems so different. Mom can't afford to live alone yet has substantial income. I know he can impute the FV of rent as support but what else? How does the $20 K she earns affect whatever the IRS would deem HALF her support? Does that mean her son would have to contribute support both real and imputed of more than 20 K? Exactly what constitutes half her support puzzles me. I told him they should also run the numbers filing separately to see what method yields the most money coming into the household. I would appreciate your comment on this issue, Mr. Stancil.

Answer
Alan,

Thanks for your question.

You're overthinking this. Support mean anything you spent to support her, including a share of items such as housing. If she spent all her income, you must provide more than that amount. If she invested a portion, that amount did not go toward her support. Support for her is whatever she spent on herself.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA