Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Home sale in Trust

Question
The Trustee sells the decedents home in the Trust. The trust then distributes the proceeds in a K1 to the beneficiaries. How does the beneficiary show that K1 income on his 1040 return so it shows his step-up basis so it won't be taxable to him? (House was sold at FMV directly after death). Does the Trust have to show step-up basis or is the distribution enough to keep the Trust from being taxed?

Answer
Daryl,

Thanks for your question.

Basically, follow the instructions on page 2 of the K-1 which tells you where to put each amount.  You will show the sale of the house on Form 8949 and show the amount from the K-1, then show the cost basis on the proper space of the 8949.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA