Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Living @ Home With Parents

Question
Good afternoon! I'm 31 years old, I have two children & my parents have afforded me the wonderful pleasure of being a stay-@-home/homeschooling mom. Since I don't work, nor attend school & can't claim my children, are my parents able to claim them? Can they claim me as one of their dependents also?

Thank you so much for your time!

Answer
Maria,

Thanks for your question.

In order for them to claim you or your children as dependents, each of you must separately meet all of the following requirements.  The test must be applied individually:

For you:

1. They must have provided over half your support.
2. Your gross income cannot exceed $3,950.
3. You must have lived in their household for the entire year.

For the children:

1. They must be under age 19 at the end of they year.
2. They must have lived in their household for over half the year.
3. They must have provided over half the support for the children

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA