Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Living @ Home With Parents

Good afternoon! I'm 31 years old, I have two children & my parents have afforded me the wonderful pleasure of being a stay-@-home/homeschooling mom. Since I don't work, nor attend school & can't claim my children, are my parents able to claim them? Can they claim me as one of their dependents also?

Thank you so much for your time!

Thanks for your question.

In order for them to claim you or your children as dependents, each of you must separately meet all of the following requirements.  The test must be applied individually:

For you:

1. They must have provided over half your support.
2. Your gross income cannot exceed $3,950.
3. You must have lived in their household for the entire year.

For the children:

1. They must be under age 19 at the end of they year.
2. They must have lived in their household for over half the year.
3. They must have provided over half the support for the children

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University