Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Minimum Essential Coverage

Question
Hello,

Thank you for your time.  I have a question regarding minimum essential coverage.  I did not have minimum essential coverage in 2014 from January to April.  I received no income during that time.  In mid april I was employed.  In August, the earliest I could enroll in the employer group health coverage.  

My question is in the IRS eyes, are there any months that I have to pay a penalty/tax/fee for not having minimum essential covrage?  

Just to recap:  January to April I didn't have minimum essential coverage, as I had no income, I didn't meet the requirement to have it.

May to August, I still didn't have minimum essential coverage, I was employed during that time, but was waiting for enrollment in August for healthcare coverage.

Thank you

Answer
John,

Thanks for your question.

You probably are exempt for Jan - April due do it being unaffordable, possibly longer. You are allowed three months of no coverage, so you may be able to escape a penalty for May - July. That would leave only August.  You need to complete Form 8965 to see if you qualify for an exemption.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA