Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/not reporting some income on tax return

when i file a joint tax return with my husband, the outcome without me reporting all of my income is high. My question is....can i file the return this way, collect that refund, then make an amended return reporting the rest of my income whether i will owe or not? will the irs already know and subtract whatever i dont report from my first tax return or will i get that refund and then get notification that i owe?

pretty much im trying to get that money, then if i even do owe anything after amending, i want to pay it back either in payments or with my next years taxes.

is this possible?

You're treading on dangerous territory here and coud be charged with criminal fraud if they catch you. I cannot advise you to do what you propose, as even advising such action is a violation of my professional code of ethics.

Criminal fraud can carry heavy monetary fines as well as a jail term.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University