Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/tax liability on settled student loans

Question
Hi!
I have recently settled a class action lawsuit against my previous school and lender, and am happy that they are extinguishing my loans. However, I would like to know the tax consequences of that.  Is there a percentage the IRS will collect?  I receive nothing except that they wipe out my loans, so I don't actually get any money in hand.

Thanks so much
Rachel

Answer
Rachel,

Thanks for your question.

You got loanforgivrness, which is taxable income. Unless you are eligible for an exception, which is not likely, you will owe tax on the canceled debt. It will be taxed at your marginal rate which is between 10 and 39.6% depending on your total taxable income.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA