Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Wages vs Cost of Labor

Question
Hello,

Greetings from a fellow expert on All-Experts (Excel category - you perfectly answered a questions for me last week... I hope I remembered to rate your response!).

I'm preparing my first 1120S for a new Veterinary Practice I purchased in 2014.

My question is, does it matter where I put non-shareholder/non-officer wages?  

I see a spot on 1125A for Cost of Labor (not sure this applies to service industry or not - the IRS instructions for 1125A actually skip line 3 - weird).  I could put them there, or I could alternatively put them on line 8 of 1120S, Salaries and Wages.  

Maybe the IRS actually doesn't care as long as I am consistent from year-to-year and as long as I don't, obviously, list it in both places :).

What is your opinion on the matter?

Thanks a bundle!

Answer
Nathan,

Thanks for your question and the kind words.

Form 1125A is for Cost of Goods Sold.  Since you are not a manufacturer or otherwise involved in the sale of goods (other than incidentally - food, medications, etc) you don't use this form. Line 8 Salaries and Wages is the proper place for your non-shareholder pay.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA