Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Where to file llc taxes

QUESTION: Hi john, I am into residential rental business. I setup a llc in pensylvannia and have a register agent since I live in NY. The state of PA required a physical address and that is why I used registered agent. My question is, how should I file my llc taxes at year end? using registered agent's address in PA or should I used my mailing address in NY where I live even though llc is registered in PA?

Thanks for your question.

Use your address. Anything the registered agent handles will cost you. Also you don't want to take the chance that any communication from the tax folks will not get to you on a timely basis.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Thank you for quick response. If I file using my address doesn't that look like the llc is in ny instead of PA? Also the NY address is where I file personal taxes. Can you explain

The purpose of a physical address inPA is to assure that the state can reach someone at the company. This is with the state department of corporations.  The address on the tax return is your operating address. This is with the department of revenue. Likely the two would never be cross referenced.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University