Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Where to file llc taxes

Question
QUESTION: Hi john, I am into residential rental business. I setup a llc in pensylvannia and have a register agent since I live in NY. The state of PA required a physical address and that is why I used registered agent. My question is, how should I file my llc taxes at year end? using registered agent's address in PA or should I used my mailing address in NY where I live even though llc is registered in PA?

ANSWER: Rob,

Thanks for your question.

Use your address. Anything the registered agent handles will cost you. Also you don't want to take the chance that any communication from the tax folks will not get to you on a timely basis.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Thank you for quick response. If I file using my address doesn't that look like the llc is in ny instead of PA? Also the NY address is where I file personal taxes. Can you explain

Answer
The purpose of a physical address inPA is to assure that the state can reach someone at the company. This is with the state department of corporations.  The address on the tax return is your operating address. This is with the department of revenue. Likely the two would never be cross referenced.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA