Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/inversion induced tax from merger

I am hit with huge this year,  having this stock for two decades, (relying on its dividend as a retired), and was going to pass it to my kids.
My adjusted basis is fractional at best, in view of number of splits, and I donít have any other stocks (to offset this gain). I even can not sell this stock over the years to minimize impact of enormous one-time tax  hit.
Normally a low income, with this tax I am in high income bracket, and in addition, apparently subject to NY tax.
I received 1 share of new MDT (now Irish)for each 1 share of old MDT, no cash, and have no meaningful reduction in proportionate interest.
Is there anything I could do in this situation?
Thank you very much for your opinion!

Thanks for your question.

From your description, you do not have a reportable sale, since no cash was received. Sounds like a non-taxable exchange since no cash was involved. Your basis in the old shares carries over to the new ones.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University