Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Jail Time & Taxes

Question
Good afternoon. I was just wandering how taxes are affected if my husband was in jail for three months of 2015 and was unemployed in 2015 from January to the end of August. We have a ten month old son as well and I'm the only one in the household that has maintained full employment. Thank you for your time.

Answer
Nora,

Thanks for your question.

His jail time will have no effect on your taxes. From a tax standpoint, he is considered to be living at his home.

Unemployment will have no effect unless he received unemployment benefits, which are taxable income.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA