Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/cash rec at year end

Question
If a company for whom I do some consulting work cuts a check to me on December 31, and includes it on my 2015 1099, but I don't receive the check until January 3, and don't deposit it until January 4, is there any way I can report this income in 2016 rather than 2015?  I acknowledge that it will likely trigger some kind of notice from the IRS if my return does not agree with the client's 1099, but am trying to figure out a way to defer this income to 2016.  Thoughts?

Answer
Trey,

Thanks for your question.

Technically, no. Since the check was cut and presumably mailed in December, it is considered income to you in 2015. Since this hasn't happened yet, I'd suggest negotiating with them or not submitting a bill until 2016.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA