Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/cash rec at year end

If a company for whom I do some consulting work cuts a check to me on December 31, and includes it on my 2015 1099, but I don't receive the check until January 3, and don't deposit it until January 4, is there any way I can report this income in 2016 rather than 2015?  I acknowledge that it will likely trigger some kind of notice from the IRS if my return does not agree with the client's 1099, but am trying to figure out a way to defer this income to 2016.  Thoughts?

Thanks for your question.

Technically, no. Since the check was cut and presumably mailed in December, it is considered income to you in 2015. Since this hasn't happened yet, I'd suggest negotiating with them or not submitting a bill until 2016.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University