Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/What happens


What happens when a US citizen that lives outside the United States, does not file IRS tax returns? He earns less than $1,000.00 a year and the cost of filing cost more than his annual income.

Earnings of $1,000 a year is below the filing threshold. Filing of U.S. tax return is not required.

However, if you also have passive income (dividends, interest, rental income) - filing is required.

Also, if combined balance on your foreign bank accounts exceeds $10K, you are required to file informational financial reports. See

As far as cost of filing (in case your are required to file) - please check  You will pay much less than what the cost of filing may be if you use tax preparation service firm in your country of residence.

Hope this helps
I.J.Zemelman, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.