Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Missionary Support - Taxable in GA

I need to know if a missionary who has established residence in a foreign country needs to file a Georgia tax return annually if his mission board is in GA? The missionary lives and works in the foreign county most of the year, taking short trips to the U.S. once or twice per year. The missionary has raised his support himslef from churches all over the U.S. The missionary is considered to be self employed. These churches send their monthly support to the mission board in GA; the mission board then deposits the funds into the missionary's bank account. The missionary has a GA mailing address only for the collection of mail.

Thanks for your question.

No, a tax return for Georgia is not required unless you previously had a residency in Georgia before you left the US. Depending on the circumstances, you may not need to file even then.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University