Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Missionary Support - Taxable in GA

Question
I need to know if a missionary who has established residence in a foreign country needs to file a Georgia tax return annually if his mission board is in GA? The missionary lives and works in the foreign county most of the year, taking short trips to the U.S. once or twice per year. The missionary has raised his support himslef from churches all over the U.S. The missionary is considered to be self employed. These churches send their monthly support to the mission board in GA; the mission board then deposits the funds into the missionary's bank account. The missionary has a GA mailing address only for the collection of mail.

Answer
Paul,

Thanks for your question.

No, a tax return for Georgia is not required unless you previously had a residency in Georgia before you left the US. Depending on the circumstances, you may not need to file even then.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA