Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Satisfaction of Mortgage

Question
I am the mortgagee of a single family home. The current outstanding balance on this recorded mortgage is about $75,000. Since the mortgagor is my daughter, I would like to eliminate the entire amount owed without either of us incurring any Federal income tax liability. I believe there are 2 ways to accomplish this. The first is to send her a check for the outstanding amount (as a gift) and she will then write a check to me for the same amount in payment of the mortgage. I know if this is done, I would be required to file a Federal gift tax return and the difference between the amount I gave her and $14,000 would be charged against my lifetime exemption. The other method is to just file a "Satisfaction of Mortgage" form with the County Clerk's office. If I do this, I'm concerned that the IRS would consider this to be forgiveness of a debt, which I believe is a taxable event to my daughter. I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Thank you.

Answer
Alan,

Thanks for your question.

The simplest way is to cancel the mortgage as a gift. You don't need to exchange checks, and the gift tax return would still be required, but other than not exchanging checks, it would work just like your first scenario. Since it is between related parties, the IRS will consider it a gift and not cancellation of debt income to her.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA