Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/tax on death benefits

Question
I recently lost a sister who was employed by the Federal Government. She listed me as a beneficiary for her unpaid wages and unused vacation pay that were owed to her at the time of her death. Will this money be considered taxable income for me?  If so, is there a ballpark percentage rate that I need to be sure to set aside for tax liability?

Answer
Denise,

Thanks for your question.

The income is taxable and is referred to as Income in Respect of a Decedent (IRD). It will be taxed at your marginal rate, which depends on your total taxable income level. THis rate can vary from 10 to 39.6%. Not knowing anything about your income level, filing status, dependents, or deducations, I could not even hazard a guess at the rate you would be subject to.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA