Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax due on the sale of home

Question
My wife and I are selling our primary residence (more then 5 yrs).  We live in Texas, will be clearing approx 40k after closing.  We want to use this money for a couple of down payments for investment properties (residential redevelopment) rather then using it for another primary residence.  Will this 40k be subject to tax (income or other)?  I understand the future sales of the investment properties will be different, I'm just unsure of the 40k from the sale of our primary residence.

Answer
John,

Thanks for your question.

If you have lived in the house for 24 of the past 60 months as your main home, you can exclude up to $500,000 in gain from the sale. Doesn't sound like it will be an issue, but proceeds and gain are not necessarily the same. It does not matter what you do with the proceeds of the sale.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA