Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/capital gains tax

Question
From California.  I plan to add my wife to my separate property.  The rental property has many years of depreciation
taken.

If worst happens to me  (hope not), my wife will be on title by then.  If she were to sell the house or is foreclosed on,  will she be liable for the capital gains tax  from all the depreciations taken? The loan and title are in my name only.  She quitclaimed from the grant deed  any interest she had , which was nothing., at time of purchase.

Answer
Will,

Thanks for your question.

Should something happen to you, she would have a split basis. Half her basis wolfed be fron your transferred basis when the interest was conveyed to her. In other words, 1/2.of your basis at the time of transfer would to be attributed to her. The other half of her basis would be 1/2 of the fair market value at the time of your death.

Hope this helps.  

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA