You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Claiming my mom on Disability


Hey there IJ,

Im need to find out if I can claim my mom on my taxes? She has been disabled since 2005 and she has been living with me since 2007. She is on disability from a stroke and Heart attack.

Can a CPA do any legwork to find out? or is there something I need to do.

Thank you


Hello Adam,

From the IRS standpoint you can claim your mother as a dependent if you provide for more than 50% of her living expenses.

However, I recommend that you contact the office of Social Security to find out if claiming her as a dependent on your tax return would affect the amount of her disability benefits.

I.J.Zemelman, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.