Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Declining Balance Method depreciation

I would have thought that when using the Declining Balance Method of depreciation with 0 salvage value there would be 0 balance at the end of the useful life, yet there is (and it's even more than the previous years depreciation expense).  What should I do with the remaining balance??

ANSWER: Figure out what yiu did wrong and why as well as planning on fixing it as it is likely that each year yiu have done your own taxes this way with this particular asset it is wrong.
If material, yiu should amend, if not just take it all in the last year but realize yiu are making an error and hope yiu don't get auditrd.
Correct answer is to fix it and amend

Good luck

QUESTION: These are new assets, I haven't begun depreciating them yet.  I am looking at the calculations.  For example, enter a 0 salvage value in
As you will see, there is a large "Book Value Year End" in the last column/ last row.  Shouldn't any method fully depreciate the asset by the end of it's useful life??  If not, do I fully depreciate the asset in the last year, ignoring the last Depreciation Expense?

There are simple tables in the irs publication which show % each year.  Mars depreciation will total 100% over the life. Not familiar with your link. But irs tables total 100% for each class/category.

Also Google "irs tax 179"  allows full write off in year placed in service.  New law just expanded that incentive write off to 2m threahold.

Buy equipment aND write it all off in year one.

How big is yiur company?   Do you want. A proposal to prepare your taxes?

Good luck

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell