Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/HSA Contribution Eligibility

Hi John,

Once again thank you for your help, I think this question might be the fourth one I have presented to you and you have always been gracious in offering your insight.  For about three years I had a High Deductible Health Plan which allowed me to make contributions to my Health Savings Account.  This year (2015) my insurance company cancelled my policy effective November 30 because it was non-compliant with the Affordable Care Act.  I was offered to move into a compliant plan for $1500 per month with a 11,000 deductible which I declined.

I will be moving to a complaint plan effective Jan 1, 2016 from a different insurer, but I am without insurance for this month of December, 2015.  

Does this mean I am no longer eligible to make a contribution to my HSA for 2015 because I did not have insurance on Dec 1, 2015 even though I was continually insured throughout the other 11 months of 2015?

As I read the confusing language offered by the IRS I am thinking I might be out of luck.  What say you?

JOhn V

Thanks for your kind words.

You are correct, you are not eligible for an HSA for December. I would add that your maximum contribution for the year will be 11/12 of the full annual amount allowed. You may, however, continue to spend the funds for qualified medical expenses.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University