Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax lien

Question
Our jointly owned home has a $90K tax lien. After our divorce,I would like my wife to own the home and I want to accept full responsibility for the tax debt. Will she be able to get the lien removed? I'm willing to have my acceptance of this responsibility in writing.

Answer
not likely if the tax lien was put on while you were married (joint responsibility) and unless you have assets that whomever (town, state or feds) wants to be paid can use for security.

Think about it - someone owes you 90k and you have a lien on their property and you think that 90k will be paid even if you have to foreclose on that property. what would you want to happen before you released that lien ?>

you will ultimiately have to pay or provide sufficient resources to cover the debt.

p

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa