Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Lien after divorce

Question
Our jointly owned home has a $90K tax lien. After our divorce,I would like my wife to own the home and I want to accept full responsibility for the tax debt. Will she be able to get the lien removed?

Answer
Neal,

Thanks for your question.

Probably not. Removal of the lien means that the taxing authorities have lost any security they have to collect the debt. Even though you are accepting full responsibility, she is still legally on the hook for the tax obligation. Look at it from their standpoint. If you didn't pay your taxes and they were forced to place a lien on the properly, why should they have any confidence you would pay off the debt if the lien were removed?circumstances don't matter.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA