Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/taxes

Question
I have a tax question but know little about taxes. I pay a mortgage on my house. How can I use the amount I paid in 2015 ($4,000) to pay less in taxes, or reduce income or deduction during tax time.I'm not sure how to say it. Someone told me in no way can it help me during tax time unless I do itemized and have expenses in excess of 10,000. Please help me understand. Also, I paid about 500 in education in 2015. How can that reduce my taxes or income earned.

Answer
generally no help for you.

the reason is called "standard deduction"  

the irs "Gives you" a base level of deductions that you receive whether or not you actually spend that money on tax, charity or other deductible stuff like mortgage interest.  THe amount varies if you are single, married, head of household or widow.  

but in all cases it is more than $6k. so you only get benefit for the increment over that amount.  but you include your state tax paid on your payroll wages too.  I would find it hard to believe that a person with a 4k mortgage interest does not also have sufficient state tax to also have a schedule a on their return.   

you might need h&r block instead of doing your return your self?

how did you do your return last year (and years past?)

good luck

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa