Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Claiming support


I have TurboTax and have used it for years.  I was just doing my regluar Federal Tax filing jointly with my wife, when a new question popped up.  It asked if I have a child or relative to whom I give more than 50% support living with me.  My 34 year old daughter and her 8 year old son live with us.  She has a part-time job which allows her only about 10% of her support.  I provide the home, her car insurance, almost all of her food, her cell phone and some clothes.  Would this qualify for me to claim her?  
She is doing transcription for her job and they don't take out any tax, so she will most certainly owe.  Will my claiming her effect anything she may get on a return?  
I usually do her taxes as well so if I can claim her, do I click the box that asks if someone else can claim her?

Dear Brett,

You are about to do the most costly mistake - claiming your daughter with her son on your own tax return.

If you did your daughter taxes correctly, she should have gotten every year $1000 child tax credit + earned income credit (amount depends on her income).

If you did not get those credits for her, I recommend to contact a professional  to file amended returns for 3 years and reclaim lost refunds.

Claiming your daughter as a dependent will disqualify her from all refundable credits.

I.J.Zemelman, EA

Learn more at our website:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.