Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Deduction of investment expenses

Hi John,
I believe this is the 3rd, maybe 4th, time I have taken advantage of your generosity in answering our questions,  For that, I thank you! I have an IRA managed by an investment advisor who charges fees for his advice.  These fees are paid from within the funds he is managing.  I understand only expenses associated with taxable investments are deductible, so as I understand it, these expenses would not normally be deductible.  However, does the fact that I am now taking taxable distributions from this account make any difference as far as deductibility of the expenses and fees?  As always, Thank you.  John

Thanks for your question and your kind words.

Unfortunately, it makes no difference. Actually, by having the fees taken directly from the IRA, you are paying the fees with pre-tax dollars, which is a better deal than getting to deduct the fees.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University