Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Form 8965

Question
My husband and I joined a healthcare sharing plan in April of last year and need to file it as an exemption on form 8965.  However, we were on my husband's employer based insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) from January-March.  Do we need to claim these 3 mos as well.  Thanks for any advice you can give us!

Answer
Shannon,

Thanks for your question.

The 8965 is for claiming an exemption from minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). Since you had minimum essential coverage with the BX-BC you do not need to indicate that on the form as you are not claiming an exemption for those three months.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA