Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Maui condo rental

Question
Hello:

I need some direction of completing Schedule E and hope you can help.

My wife & I are 1/5 owners of a Maui Condo. We get 70 days per year.
In 2014, we used it 20 days, rented it out for 40 and it was not rented or occupied for 10 days. My wife also takes care of the rental contracts for the other owners earning a 15% commission.
One of the owners issues a statement of maintenance expenses etc from which we derive our maintenance costs etc.

1) Do we mark 100% owner or 20% owner? When we use tax software,  we report our $4000 rental income for the 40 days, it shows up as 1/5 of that, which is not correct. If we mark 100% owner, then we are credited with paying all the taxes and maintenance, which is also in error.

2) The rental commission from renting out the other owners time amounts to $3000.  Does that get reported on Schedule E or as miscellaneous income on another form?

3) How do we figure out the depreciation on the unit? We bought our 20% share for $100K during 01/13 but have no idea where we enter those figures. We do not trust last year's CPA as he made significant errors on other items,

Thanks for your assistance

Answer
John,

Thanks for your question.

1. This is a software issue. Different software handles issues differently, and it is unlikely that I am familiar with your software. Having said that, you may need to override some cells.

2. The commissions are not rental activities and should be reported on Schedule C.

3. Again, different software handles this differently, but basically, your cost basis is entered on Form 4562. Be sure to deduct the value of the common areas from your cost as those are not depreciable. Use MACRS depreciation for residential real estate.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA