Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Mortgage interest

Question
I got a divorce in Sept. while both our names are on the mortgage. I am still in the process of trying to assume the loan. Can my ex- wife claim half of the mortgage interest on her 2014 taxes?

Answer
Russell,

Thanks for your question.

There are two possible scenarios.  First, if the divorce decree specified who can take the deduction, that is overriding.

Under the second scenario, the deduction goes to whoever pays it.  It would be assumed (contrary to other evidence) that the mortgage was paid out of joint funds until the divorce.  So that portion woould be split equally.  After that, the remaining portion would be deducted by whoever paid it.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA