Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/QUESTION AGE EFFECT ON INTEREST INCOME DISTRIBUTION

Question
John Hi I have a question regarding income interest for an elderly person.  Is there any way to utilize the following.  My mom has allready received a 1099 INT.   Please see below.          If you receive a lump-sum distribution from a qualified retirement plan or a qualified retirement annuity and you were born before January 2, 1936, you may be able to elect optional methods of figuring the tax on the distribution. These optional methods can be elected only once after 1986 for any eligible plan participant.          Thank you Ken

Answer
Ken,

Thanks for your question.

To qualify for the alternative method of tax on the distribution, it must be a lump sum from a qualified plan. Since she received at 1099-INT, it is not a qualified plan, nor would it be indicative that it was a lump sum distribution. Therefore, she does not qualify.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA