Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/residency-US states

I have a client who purchased a large motor home and now lives 365 days a year in it.  He travels around the United States staying for a short time in many states. He has no real estate. He feels that he does not need to file any state tax return. He has an Arizona drivers license but spent less than 1 month in AZ.Is it possible that he only has to file a US return and no state returns?  If not how would he determine what states to file?

Based on your description, he is an Arizona resident, legally.  He has an AZ driver's license.  If his voter registration and mailing address are also AZ, I would definitely say he needs to file in AZ.  Also, if he has any brokerage accounts, bank accounts, or such items the address on those accounts would be indicators of AZ residency.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University