Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/S corp question

I'm a small s corp, and in 2013, I gave my business a loan to help pay bills.  In 2014, I did a little better; I didn't have to provide any additional funds, but unfortunately I didn't clear enough to give me a salary, but I could pay myself back some of the loan.  In 2013, I showed the loan from shareholders on Schedule L, line 19.  I'd like to pay myself back some of the loan, e.g., $500, but I don't understand how to reflect on the 1120 form.  Do I still show the ordinary business income on line 21, as a positive, and then use line 16e "Repayment of Loans"? and then also on Schedule L, line 19, reflect what the remaining loan amount is?

Alternatively, can I just leave that loan in the business (because I know I have bills coming due in first quarter), but how do I show that the business income is positive because I'm not repaying the shareholder loan?
I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your question.

A loan repayment is not income.

Just show. The effect on line 16e and Schedule L as you indicate.

Hope this helps.  By the way be certain to show the authorization for the corp to borrow the fins from you in the minutes of the Board.

John L Staccil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University