Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/TAXES ON 1099R

Question
John Hi, I need your help, my mom who is elderly closed out a 1099R account. The account is over       100 thousand and she lives In NY. She received a 2014 statement for tax purposes.  Can you please tell me the rate this is taxed by Federal and taxed.  Can the tax  amount be spread out over future years.  Is there anything she can reduce the pay out of taxes. We appreciate your help.  Thank you Ken

Answer
Ken,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, this is a closed fact situation, meaning that the opportunity for tax savings has passed.  You should have consulted with a tax advisor prior to making the withdrawal.

The tax is due for the year the funds were withdrawn and cannot be spread out. It will be taxed at her marginal rate which will be between 10 and 39.6%. Different portions will be taxed at different rates as the taxable amount increases.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA