Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099 help

My parents already filed their taxes,listed me as not working and a dependent,  got their return and now I receive a 1099 in March saying I made $8090 which is correct but I have no idea what I should do and I've never filed taxes before because this is my first job, please help me.

Thanks for your question.  

If you are under age 18 or if you are under age 24 and a full time student, they don't have to do anything. If you are not a student over age 18 or if you are over age 24, they will need to file an amended return not claiming you as a dependent.

You will need to file a return reporting your 1099 income (I presume this is a 1099-MISC with box 7 amounts) on Schedule C.  Although you will probably not owe any income tax unless your parents claim your exemption, you will have to complete Schedule SE to determine and pay your self-employment tax liability.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University