Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099 help

Question
My parents already filed their taxes,listed me as not working and a dependent,  got their return and now I receive a 1099 in March saying I made $8090 which is correct but I have no idea what I should do and I've never filed taxes before because this is my first job, please help me.

Answer
Dakota,

Thanks for your question.  

If you are under age 18 or if you are under age 24 and a full time student, they don't have to do anything. If you are not a student over age 18 or if you are over age 24, they will need to file an amended return not claiming you as a dependent.

You will need to file a return reporting your 1099 income (I presume this is a 1099-MISC with box 7 amounts) on Schedule C.  Although you will probably not owe any income tax unless your parents claim your exemption, you will have to complete Schedule SE to determine and pay your self-employment tax liability.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA