Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/4797 versus 8949

Question
I sold some furniture, equipment, etc.,that I had used in my business.  These assets were not inventory, they were used to conduct my business.  All assets were fully depreciated and held for several years, so long term.  The contract for sale was in 2007 but I did not get paid anything until 2014.  I expect further payments in 2015 forward, assuming that the buyer does not file bankruptcy.

I cannot figure out whether to use 4797 or 8949 (or even 6252 since payment will be made, if at all, in installments over a period of years).  If I use either 4797 or 8949, do I also file Schedule D.  The 1040 Lines 13 and 14 seem to require entries for both Schedule D and 4797.

Am I confused enough that I should get a CPA?

Answer
Neil,

Thanks for your question.

Since it is a business asset, you wiil report the sale on Form 4797. Since it is also an installment sale, you must use form 6252. It will all end up on Schedule D.

If you don't know what you're doing , I'd recommend a good CPA or Enrolled Agent.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA