Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/estimating rental cost basis

Question
About 30 years ago I began renovating my home to include an apartment and spent a lot of money putting in stairs and bathrooms and all that stuff. I have no receipts from that time. I have a offer to sell and a portion of the house (37%)is business. Can I estimate the cost basis using photos and remortgage papers and a list of improvements? The property is worth less than $100,000.
Thanks, Tim

Answer
Tim,

Thanks for your question.

Estimates cannot be defended if the IRS questions them, so you need to be prepared to justify the numbers you use. The papers you mention may be sufficient, but you need to put up a good defense. However, if this occurred 30 years ago, it is likely that the depreciation would have taken its value to zero, given you no basis in the apartment portion.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA