Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Forms 8949 and 8962

Question
I had 2 questions, hope you don't mind.
Just did my personal taxes and because I sold part of a mutual fund, I filled out the 8949 form, 'Sales and other Dispositions of Capitol Assets' and also listed it on Schedule D, line 8b. But I read among all the junk that you don't need to fill out 8949 and can just put that info it on Schedule D, line 8a. Just for future reference, if I have proceeds from a mutual fund, do I need to use form 8949?  
I also filled out form 8962 because I received premium tax for health care in 2014, all 12 months. It wasn't too hard to do, but this January I didn't receive any (I didn't have health coverage for that one month), but will receive them for 11 out of the 12 months in 2015. Will that make things more difficult when I need to fill out that form next year? Just curious, Thanks

Answer
Lee,

Thanks for your question.

If you sold shares in the mutual fund you must use 8949. If you did not sell shares but received a capital gain distribution, it goes directly on the Schedule D.

Regarding the 8962, that should not be much of an issue next year, just make an adjustment on the form showing no coverage in January.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA