Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/how to handle incorrect 1099-MISC

Question
I am a sole proprietor retailer. Included in my 2014 gross sales on Schedule C will be a $1000 merchandise sale to a company. In Feb I received a 1099-MISC from this buyer for $1000 as "non employee compensation" which as I understand it was unnecessary on their part.

The IRS will be expecting me to report this as some sort of additional contracting or freelance income when in fact it was a sale that is already reported. I am trying to get the company to send a corrected 1099-MISC with the amount changed to $0 but if they refuse to, how should I deal with this?

Answer
Theo,

Thanks for your question.

Don't worry about it. The $1000 is included in your reported sales.  Shouldn't cause an issue with the IRS. Normally, it would only be an issue if your reported sales was less than the amount of the 1099.

If you are using tax preparation software, just input the 1099, then reduce your other reported sales by the $1,000.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA