You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Lodging Expenses (Can I use per diem rate or do I have to take actual expenses?)


My husband is an insurance adjuster and a contract employee for the company he works for. His job is temporary. I know that we can deduct his hotel expenses but I'm confused on if we HAVE to take the actual expense deduction or if we can take the per diem rate. The per diem rate would give us more but my CPA is saying and I quote "If you refer to Publication 463 regarding W-2 employees (which he really is because he receives a W-2 and not a 1099), he must use actual lodging receipts but may use either the actual meals & incidental receipts OR standard per diem rates for meals & incidentals.

I know other people in this field of work saying they use the per diem amount and that their CPA has always done it that way.


per diem for food and hotel is allowable.  

a cpa who quotes only publications (and not the underlying law or citations) means it is time for a new cpa.

few other questions.

where do you live? where is the temporary adjusting job?  how long has it been going on?  do you anticipate it will continue?  


Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.