Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Question About Form 1099-PATR

Question
Hello Mr. Stancil,

I have a question about IRS form 1099-PATR. We bought a piece of land, that we do NOT use for farming, ranching, or any other agricultural or business related purpose. We put a mobile home on it, and we live here. We make no income of any kind from this property.

We purchased the property through a "land loan" lender, that sends us the 1099-PATR each year, because they are a cooperative, and we get an annual co-op "patronage" distribution from them. It states on their website that they make "county home loans" so they DO acknowledge that they make "non-farming business" land loans.

I paid taxes on this money last year, but it didn't sit right with me, so I started digging in this year, to better understand the issue. The fact that I am contacting you about this, should indicate that my digging has not lead me to a definitive conclusion.

From what I can find, this is not a cut-and-dried issue, for tax purposes. When trying to use "a popular tax software preparation product," the only options available are to claim this as some kind of farming business income. Also, when attempting to research this on the internet, almost all advice says to claim this as income, on Schedule, C, F, or in some miscellaneous category SOMEWHERE. I HAVE found that, property used for personal purposes, is not subject to tax, as it relates to the 1099-PATR, but this is where the trouble begins.

My main concern, is the definition of "personal property" as used by the IRS. The examples I have seen never have real estate listed, unless it is in reference to rental property, which would generate business income. This, to me, seems to be one more case where the IRS has intentionally made this vague, probably in the hope that people will just pay taxes on the funds, out of fear of an audit. Just my opinion.

I do not believe that we should have to pay taxes on this money, as a farm/business, since we are not neither. We are just home/land owners, generating no income from the land.

Can you please let us know what advice you can give about this?

Thank you, in advance, for any advice you have to offer.

Answer
Dennis,

Thanks for your question.

The general rule is that the dividends shown on the form are reported as income the same way the interest was deducted. In your case, I presume you deducted the interest on Schedule A, so it would be income on the 1040, line 21.

But,  we now get to the Personal property part. This would be more clear if they said personal-use property. Since this is your home and not a business of any sort,it is personal-use property and not taxable income.

Hope thishelps.

John Stancil, CPQ

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA