Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Short vs Calendar year for C-corp

Question
I am filing an extension for C-corp taxes which was incorporated in October last year (7004 for not being able to find 1120). It is asking if my tax year is "short" because of initial return or should I pick calendar year.Also what is section Regulations section 1.6081-5, (in question 4). Thanks for your help

Answer
Farnham,

Thanks for your question.

Certain corporations are required to have a calendar tax year. If this applies to you, your first return will be for less than 12 months, hence a short year and certain special tax calculations are required.  As far as sec 1.6081-5, there are special rules for certain corporations that fall under this category. Read the instructions to determine if your corporation meets this criteria.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA