Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Itemized.


Hi there,

I started working when I was 25 and didn't make much money which I got a refund. Now I started my new job a year ago and filed my taxes. First I owed money but if it wasn't for my student loan interests I got a little refund. I just learned about tax itemized meaning you can keep your receipts and calculate the tax which you would give it to the person who would file your taxes. Can I do this?
I am learning as I go along.
Thank You.

Dear Alison,

Itemized deductions can produce better results than standard deductions only if you exceed the level of standard deductions ($6,200 for a single person) by adding up deductions separately.

Unless you have mortgage interest and pay high state taxes ($6K or more), itemized deductions will not make sense to you.

See for details on what is allowed as itemized deductions.

Hope this helps

I.J.Zemelman, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]