You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Buyout of interest in business as a result of divorce



My question is related to payments I am receiving from my ex husband. I receive child support, alimony and a monthly payment on a buyout. I know that the child support is not reportable income and that the alimony is reportable as income. My question is whether the buyout payments I revieve are taxable income. The payments that I revieve are the result of a settlement agreement in our divorce. The total amount is being paid in monthly installments over 4 years.They are for me releasing my interest in a business that we owned together during our marriage and which he still owns.

Thank you for your time.

This is really a question of state law.

If you are deemed to be an owner, you might have income.

Otherwise, it is tax free settlement of property among former spouses and tax free under irc s.1041

What state are you in?

Did you also own the company?

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.