You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/How to handle amount for AMT purposes



I own stock in Equity Residential, a publicly traded real estate investment trust.  Attached to the 2014 1099-DIV was this note:  'Shareholders subject to the Federal Alternative Minimum Tax: AMTI adjustment items under Internal Revenue Code Section 59(d) are apportioned to shareholders at 9 cents per share.'

I am subject to AMT this year and am trying to figure out how (or if) to report this on form 6251.  I have tried to contact Equity Residential to find out more about this but they haven't responded.

I do not see any category on form 6251 that would fit this situation.  Have you ever run across anything similar and how did you handle it?  My current theory is that whatever this amount represents, it's not anything that an individual stock holder needs to adjust on their tax return.  

Thanks for any help you can give!


It is an adjustment and uiu need to ask company (or broker who sold you into it..  company has to have investor relations area/team)

How many shares?  Question is it material at 9c a share?

You need to know which "way" (more amti or less) the adjustment is going.

Without that information,yiu can't be sure return is accurate.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.