Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/income tax

Question
Hi, Randall,

This is my question:

I am a naturalized US citizen.

Is a pension that I earned in a European country (Austria) before I immigrated to the US and that is below the required tax-filing amount, taxable in the US?

Am I even required to file for a refund since the amount is too small?

Thanks in advance for your reply and thanks,   J

Answer
Assuming that you are now a US resident taxpayer, you are subject to taxation on your worldwide income (including foreign pensions). If you meet the filing requirements to file a tax return (including this income), you will need to report this amount and potentially may be able to claim any foreign tax paid on the pension to Austria as a foreign tax credit.

Randall

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP