Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Private Stock Losses

Question
As part of a buyout of my family company in 2006 I was granted 250k private shares in the purchaser along with my cash buyout.  Last year the purchaser declared bankruptcy and subsequently closed it's doors.  There was such significant debt held that no shareholders were paid anything.  Is there any way to write off these losses, since I have no way to ascertain the true value of the stock at the time it was granted?

Answer
Brian,

The value of the stock at the time it was granted is not the relevant number here. The basis you had in the business at the time of sale is the relevant number. That basis can be deducted as a capital loss.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA